Gressoney-La-Trinité

Gressoney-La-Trinité

Situated in a large, flat area in the shadow of the huge Lyskamm Glacier, Gressoney-La-Trinité is the last of the villages in the Lys Valley.

In the centre of the village is the parish church, dating back to 1671, inside which the main altar, in Baroque style with a few Renaissance touches, features a part in gilded wood and a painted part. The dome of the bell tower is an unusual onion shape, topped by a copper ball and a cross. The Cemetery next to the church is interesting both for how old it is and the quality of the hand-crafted tombstones, and especially for the fine wooden cross. In the Middle Ages, the village belonged to the Bishop of Sion and was peopled by shepherds from the nearby Vallese area, the Walser. Their culture is still evident in the architecture, the traditions and the language spoken here, known as “Titsch”.

An ideal departure point for group ascents to the Monte Rosa group, Gressoney is also a superbly equipped winter sports resort, situated at the heart of the Monterosa Ski Area, the 180 km of runs of which link up with the Ayas Valley to the west and with the Alagna resort in Piedmont to the east. Staffal, at the top of the valley, is the gateway to the most thrilling off-piste and ski mountaineering routes. In summer, Gressoney offers a range of attractive walking routes, along some stretches of which you can take the ski lifts, as well as trekking trips spread over several days, such as the Monte Rosa Tour, which runs around Monte Rosa in Italy and Switzerland, and the Grande Sentiero Walser, which runs along the route the Walser followed during their migrations.